Install SVN Server on Ubuntu 14.04 and Test it with Tortoise
In this tutorial Ubuntu 14.04 and Apache/2.4.7 are used. The client used is Tortoise for Windows.
INSTALL SVN SERVER IN UBUNTU
Execute the following commands to update the Ubuntu repository list and install apache + svn.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install subversion apache2 libapache2-svn apache2-utils
*If asked type Y (Yes). If you have trouble updating check your internet connection, proxy, try update fix-missing etc.
Create your repository folder in this case /svn/repos/
sudo mkdir -p /svn/repos/
Create your repository in SVN
sudo svnadmin create /svn/repos/myrepo
Give permisions to apache to access your newly created folder.
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /svn/repos/myrepo
Create a apache configuration file for the repository. (Use your favorite ubuntu editor, nano, vi, etc)
In this example in folder /etc/apache2/sites-available a file named myrepo-svnrepo.conf is created
sudo vi /etc/apache2/sites-available/myrepo-svnrepo.conf
AuthName "Repositorio Subversion del proyecto"
<LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
*If you used vi exit and save pressing ESC :wq!
sudo a2ensite myrepo-svnrepo
sudo service apache2 reload
Create your first user
sudo htpasswd -cm /etc/svnpasswd user1
*Now you will be asked to intro a password for the new user
CAUTION: If you execute this command again (-c) all users will be removed.
To create more users use the following command
sudo htpasswd -m /etc/svnpasswd user2
Check out that everything is working fine.
Use your web browser to the SVNserver IP http://[ MY SVN SERVER IP ]/svn/
* If you see a similar image to this means that everything is installed correctly. If you want to double check that everything is working well you need to install a SVN client, such us Tortoise, Eclipse, Netbeans, RabbitVCS, etc. If you can't see this check out if you missed on of the previous steps, your machine connectivity, permissions, whether you had installed a previous Apache version, etc.
INSTALL TORTOISE FOR WINDOWS
LINK PROJECT TO A FOLDER
Once you have successfully installed Tortoise for Windows.
- Create a folder and call it "repo". Right-Click on your desk or on your Windows file explorer and you should have the SVN checkout option.
-In"URL of repository" use the previously used URL plus your repository name e.g."myrepo" http://10.0.135.109/svn/myrepo
- Click OK
- Create a file inside this folder. e.g. right-click create new text doc and name it "pueba.txt"
- Right-click on the newly created file SVN tortoise->add to repository
*With this we marked the file to be added to the repository
- Right-click and commit the file
NOTE: Intro the one previously created valid user and password when needed.
To double check that everything is committed to the repository go to your URL http://10.0.135.109/svn/myrepo
INSTALL A SVN CLIENT FOR LINUX
Click on "Checkout" and use your repository URL.